The work performed by Robert Allan Ltd. has been widely recognized for its contribution to the advancement of the state of the art in specialized commercial ship design. Some of these awards, either to individuals or the company in total, are noted below.
Awards Received by Robert G. Allan
- SNAME Taylor Medal 2005 – The David W. Taylor Medal “for notable achievements in naval architecture”. Rob Allan is the only Canadian ever to be so recognized.
- RINA Small Craft Group Medal 2005 – Awarded the Small Craft Group Medal by the Royal Institution of Naval Architects in the UK, “for his contribution to the field of workboat design, and in particular for his innovative work in the development of tugboats for all types of operations”
- S.S. Beaver Medal – Awarded by the Maritime Museum of British Columbia “for significant contributions to the maritime industry of B.C.”
Awards Received by Ken Harford
- CIMarE 2016 Medal of Excellence – The National Council conferred the award on Mr. Ken Harford P.Eng., retiring Managing Director of Robert Allan Ltd. The presentation was made in absentia at Mari-Tech, Canada’s annual marine technology exhibition and conference in St. Johns, Newfoundland.
Awards Received by Robert Allan Ltd.
- Red Dot Award
- 2005 – Awarded the prestigious Red Dot Design Award “Best of the Best” for the highest design quality, expressing innovation in form and function in an outstanding manner for the Z-Tech® tug design, as developed for PSA Marine of Singapore
- Singapore Design Award
- 2004 – Awarded to the Z-Tech® tug design as developed for PSA Marine of Singapore
- Work Boat World magazine (Australia)
- 2016 – Best OSV-AHTS Designer
- 2016 – Best ASD Harbour Tug Designer
- 2015 – Best Designer of the Year
- 2014 – Best Designer of the Year
- Workboat magazine (USA)
Significant Boat of the Year Awards (for US boats only)
- 2016 – Protector & Vigilance: RAnger V-3300 fireboat for the Port of Long Beach
- 2015 – Michelle Sloan & Lela Franco: RAmparts 2400 tugs for Harley Marine Services
- 2014 – Signet Arcturus & Signet Polaris: RAmparts 3200 tugs for Signet Maritime
- 2011 – Tristan K and Hercules: Z-Tech® 30-75 tugs for G&H Towing
- 2011 – Christopher Wheatley: RAnger P-2700 for the Chicago Fire Department
- 2010 – Independence: RAstar 3900 tug for Boston Towing & Transportation
- 2009 – Three Forty Three: RAnger P-4200 fireboat for FDNY
- 2009 – Carolyn Dorothy: RApport 2400 MkII world’s first hybrid tug for Foss
- 2008 – Independence: RAnger J-2000 fireboat for the Philadelphia Fire Department
- 2007 – Thor: first Z-Tech® 30-70 for G&H Towing
- 2006 – Dolphin-Class tugs for Foss Maritime
- BC Export Award
Sponsored by the Canadian Manufacturers & Exporters British Columbia association, in partnership with the B.C. Government Ministry of International Trade
- 2016 – Won award for Professional Services category
- 2015 – Finalist the Professional Services category
For more information about the work of Robert Allan Ltd., see News.