Robert Allan Ltd. is an independent, privately-owned naval architecture and marine engineering company established in 1928 right here in Vancouver. Over many years, we have earned a worldwide reputation for the design of working vessels of the highest quality. Our clientele is global, we are currently working with shipyards and vessel owners in 19 countries across 5 continents. With over 1,000 vessels designed by our firm delivered in the past 16 years, it is common to see a Robert Allan Ltd design in many of the world’s ports, harbours and canals.
This strong history is powering us through the challenges of designing vessels for the future: LNG, methanol, battery electric and hybrid powered vessels are currently under construction. We have a strong commitment to enhancing and improving the designs we produce and providing leading edge solutions to new marine challenges.
Robert Allan Ltd currently employs over 90 highly motivated and engaged people who enjoy numerous benefits including bonuses, paid overtime, extended health benefits, healthcare spending accounts, hybrid and flexible work options, training opportunities, mentoring program and paid professional memberships. We believe in a work/life balance and have an inclusive workplace that embraces numerous cultural backgrounds and experiences.
We have an energetic group who are fortunate to apply their considerable skills to designing boats……..every work day!
Mechanical Engineer/Machinery Noise & Vibration Analyst
The Mechanical Engineer/Machinery Noise & Vibration Analyst will work on internal projects relating to the prediction and reduction of underwater noise from our designs and undertake other technical duties as required on other assignments for clients or in support of Robert Allan Ltd internal research and development activities. This is a new position to help support a 2-year long R&D project that may lead into a broader range of vessel design duties as a Mechanical Engineer once the project is completed.
- Organize and plan the work assigned in a manner which will achieve the technical results and schedule required as directed by the Project Manager.
- Work on internal projects relating to the prediction and reduction of underwater noise from our designs, with a focus on machinery noise.
- Assist with installation of instrumentation and measurements of noise and vibration on-board tugs, and processing of the collected data.
- Undertake various tasks in Marine Engineering, which may include, but are not limited to:
- Design and analysis of vessel machinery and piping systems.
- Preparation of drawings, specifications, calculations, studies, and reports.
- Complete assigned work within stipulated budgets.
- Comply with the Robert Allan Ltd ISO 9001:2008 Quality Management Plan
- Other duties as required.
Education, Experience, and Competencies
- Undergraduate or Master’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or Naval Architecture
- Experience in sound and vibration control in industrial environments, preferably in marine applications.
- Experience with marine propulsion engines and shafting is an asset.
- Experience with noise & vibration measurement and analysis.
- Programming knowledge in MATLAB/Simulink and Acoustic, SEA and/or FEA modelling is an asset.
- Familiarity with CAD design tools such as AutoCAD, Rhino.
- Basic proficiency in Microsoft 365 suite.
- Shows initiative, takes pride in work and has attention to detail.
- Enjoys working closely with people and comfortable working independently.
- Excellent communication, organizational, interpersonal, and time-management skills.
- Eligibility to be registered as an EIT in British Columbia.
Robert Allan Ltd. is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. No employee or applicant for employment will be treated less favourably on the grounds of their disability, race, colour, religion, political belief, place of origin, ancestry, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital or family status, or on the basis of any other ground enumerated at law.
Candidates must be eligible to work in Canada. Please submit your resume and cover letter with attention to the Office Manager to email@example.com. We thank all applicants and advise that only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. Phone calls or agency solicitations will not be accepted.