Scholarships for Students of Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering
A scholarship fund for students wishing to pursue a professional career in Naval Architecture or Marine Engineering was created in 1982 by a bequest from the late Robert F. Allan, noted Vancouver Naval Architect, and supported by his friends and colleagues. The scholarship fund is administered by a committee of senior employees at Robert Allan Ltd. and local members of the Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers.
The scholarship is awarded annually to the student or students considered most deserving by the applications committee. Applications are considered on their individual merit.
To qualify for this scholarship, a student must:
- Be at least 18 years of age,
- Be a Canadian citizen for at least five years prior to application,
- Have been a British Columbia resident for not less than two years prior to application, or for two years prior to enrolling in any of the courses defined below (Note: In the absence of suitably qualified applicants from B.C., the committee will consider applications from qualified students from other parts of Canada),
- Have satisfactorily completed at least two years of a recognized university degree course in:
- Naval Architecture
- Mechanical Engineering with a focus on Naval Architecture or Marine Engineering, or
- Have been enrolled and satisfactorily completed not less than two years of a higher technical college course in Naval Architecture, prior to enrolling in a degree course in Naval Architecture or Marine Engineering, or
- Have completed an undergraduate degree in Naval Architecture or Mechanical Engineering, and be enrolled for a post-graduate degree in Naval Architecture or Marine Engineering.
- Demonstrate a clear commitment to a career in the marine industry
The total award value varies according to interest rates, and is currently approximately $1,500 per year. The applications committee will decide each year how the scholarship funds will be allocated. The scholarship will be announced in late August of each year, and is payable towards the cost of tuition fees only.
How to Apply
Applications for the Robert Allan Memorial Scholarship should be submitted in writing prior to June 30th of each year. Applicants must include at least the following information in support of their application:
- Full name and mailing address
- Date of birth
- Social Insurance Number
- Proof of citizenship and British Columbia residency.
- History of previous education, and copies of record of academic achievement.
- Description of applicant’s areas of interest and career objectives in the marine industry, and why they consider themselves worthy of a scholarship.
- University to which application has been filed for coming year
- Statement of annual tuition fees for university course in which applicant is or will be enrolled.
- Letter of reference from not less than two persons, preferably British Columbia sources in the marine industry, or from academic sources.
- Description of present sources of funding for study programs, and a complete list of any and all other scholarships currently being received or expected to be received in the coming academic year.
Applications should be typewritten/ and submitted in hard copy to:
Robert Allan Memorial Scholarship
c/o Robert Allan Ltd.
Suite 230 – 1639 West 2nd Avenue
Vancouver, B.C. V6J 1H3
(Do not e-mail scholarship applications – mail or courier only)